Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Banapple: Banoffee, Chicken Pie and Asian Salad


It could’ve been ‘a-long-time-coming’ moment, save for one member of the group who is not present. This is the closest we can get to that, however. Even so, I'm excited much.

My friends and I have been planning to try this place out for quite some time – maybe a little less than a year now. But for some reason, we never get around doing that, what with conflicting schedules and stuff. So when some of us had the chance to be near one of its stores, we didn’t think twice putting it in our itinerary.

As if the universe had a hand in matters, two of us got an invite to attend a birthday party of a friend’s one year old son, the location of which happened to be near the Il Terrazzo, Tomas Morato, Quezon City area - one of the places where Banapple Pies and Cheesecakes have a store in.


I’ve been hearing a lot of good words about how delicious the food is that’s being served here, and quite affordable at that. Being quite the connoisseur that I am, I would, as expected, be itching to get my hands on and my mouth filled with the actual deliciousness I only hear from other people’s stories. I wouldn’t get over the thought of tasting their delicious offerings until I get my fix.

So, after the party, we headed straight to Tomas Morato, which we realized was quite near the place we are at, at the time. I realized, we could’ve actually used the time going there for some brisk walking, to burn away the fried chicken and spaghetti I munched on during the party. I should have followed my friend’s advise not to fill myself too much as Banapple has big servings. How stupid of me not to follow.


We had to wait a few minutes before we could get a table as the place was quite packed with people. I ordered Chicken Pie w/ Potato Salad while my friend ordered Asian Salad. We both ordered Banoffee Pie for dessert, one of Banapples’ signature desserts that made them famous. The chicken pie reminds me of the chicken empanada, only heavier. I’m not really a big fan of it. But the banoffee, oh my, the banoffee is exceptional - a wonder of heavenly proportions.


It’s a perfect combination of huge banana chunks enriched with gooey caramel, ensconced in the middle by double layers of cake and wall of crushed graham on the side, both with hints of coffee, topped w/ rich foam of white frosting. Lastly, shavings of delicious chocolate were sprinkled on top. Drool-worthy, this banoffee is.  


The Asian salad is wonderful in its light and crisp scrumptious-ness, perfect for health-conscious individuals. I like the fact that it's not bitter as is common to other Asian salads I tried before.

The servings are indeed big we actually had to bring some home.

All this food filled us up so well we had to do some ‘mitigating’ of its effects. What would usually work for me is coffee. So, we set out to look for a nice coffee shop afterwards, and since we are new to the place, we thought we could use some time familiarizing ourselves with what this lively and gastronomically rich district had to offer. Indeed, there are a lot, which means a lot of reason to come back as well. Not that I mind.


What’s funny is, in our pursuit of a new, cozy coffee shop, we ended up in this non-descript coffee house that’s been anything but cozy and lovable. We preferred this over the other one, Baang, if only for the seeming peace and quiet it exudes at the outset, as there weren’t too many people inside. What seems to be peace and quiet however, is really more of sadness and drabness when you get to realize it. 

It's a road less traveled, for obvious reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment