Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Love at First Bite

Photo courtesy of hazelillustrisimo.blogspot.com

If I would make a list of my favorite things in the world, one of them would be BreadTalk.

Until a few days ago, I wouldn’t think twice holding off eating at this place despite the super delicious aroma of the unique, eye-catching and mouth-watering creations they produce here.  The practical side of me would nag about spending for something I can buy in a local bakery for much less.  I always thought it would hurt my wallet.

Until one boring day, I decided to go to the mall to do some sightseeing-slash-contemplation. I couldn’t decide where to eat despite the smorgasbord of food one could have in such a place - a veritable food haven. Ever since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I found it harder and harder to look for food that would really suit my diet. At that time I was thinking if I should seriously commit myself to a strict whole grain, low sodium, low fat, and of course, low/no sugar diet. Taking medication would’ve been easier but I wanted to know if one could make it through without the meds. The last time I took the tablets was almost a year ago and I haven’t been better since. Lately though, I feel my blood sugar levels rising again, ergo the contemplation.

But I digress.



There I was standing in front of the BreadTalk store that’s gleaming in what seemed to me as immaculate whiteness, an impression borne out of the general whitewashed motif; all the while exuding heavenly aroma only freshly baked bread could offer.  Breads of different sizes, colors and textures invite you, each one with its unique character, most notable and popular of which is the floss monster (see picture at the top). And since I’m in the mood for some coffee, I thought what better way to enjoy it than with delicious bread? At that time I was thinking of something like in the line of croissants or similar, something flaky, which I could dunk in my coffee.



So there I was looking all excited for ‘that’ bread that would satisfy my cravings. After several rounds of circling the bread counter, at the same time imagining the type of bread (think savory but not heavy) that would complement my coffee, at last I was able to zero in on two: the ‘Beckham & Cheese’ and the ‘Eggstraordinary’. Together with kapeng Barako, the "trifecta", if you will, is now complete. Coupled with the store’s modern/contemporary chic ambiance and cool/relaxing sounds, it doesn't get any better. Truly, love at first bite.


I've actually been to the store for like five times already since the above took place about more than a week ago. Every time I would try a different type of bread, and for each of those times it would not fail to impress, as every creation is good and delicious in its own way.


This could truly be the start of a long-lasting love affair - that is, as long as my blood sugar permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment