Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Mall Rat Came Out to Play

Photo courtesy of the photographyblog.com

I just got back from a not-so-productive (errands-wise) but fun-filled day. A protracted trip to the doctor and a failed errand to the bank due to bad weather had me spending the day at the mall. Good thing I brought my camera with me, my newly bought Canon A2200. I thought what better way to kill time than to use the device for another ‘test drive’ and give myself some creative boost, which I don’t get to do a lot these days. Oh well, the tragedy of working in a corporate environment - you get boxed in. Hell, we can’t even comment on Facebook anymore – not if we have anything nice to say, or that are otherwise disclaimered with: “I’m on break and I’m accessing internet via Ovi” or whatever. Sucks much.

Anyhow, I digress.

So there I was, shooting like crazy every interesting subject I could find. Without a doubt, one of my favorite subjects to shoot is food. They talk to me, you know. 

You see, when my mind gets idle, I get hungry. Nothing really wrong with that, except if your mind is idle all the time. And THAT does not bode well for me, nor is it helping in my addiction. I am yet to figure out a way of making my passions work without them having to be lethal. For someone who has blood sugar issues, an unmonitored glucose level can lead to seizure and coma, sending one to the ER in no time.   

However, as I would always say, life is too short to be worrying about the mundane and the superficial. So, have fun and enjoy the ride. Live and let live. 

And so it was.

First thing I did was to load up on energy - food, in anticipation of a long day ahead. I saw Ya Kun Kaya offering something new on the menu, so I thought I should give it a try. Singapore’s Sa Po Fan or clay pot chicken , was what it was - a topping of marinated chicken pieces, Chinese sausages, black Chinese mushrooms and some garnishing, over steamed rice. 

The gingery aroma had a soothing and calming effect. And the sweet smell of the sauce mixed with the herbs are inviting. It's best eaten while still steaming hot and is just perfect in this rainy weather. It was delicious.

Sa Po Fan

Now, all that carb had to go somewhere. Sitting for hours on end wouldn’t help. So I had to walk around the mall and give time for the food to digest. Not that it’s a very effective exercise method, but this could just be the next best thing.

The scouting around led me to the activity center where a number of DVD’s are on display. One of the DVD’s I’ve been dying to have for a long time was on sale – Planet Earth. Not that it's a big SALE or anything but I felt like I’ve held back long enough and now the patience has grew thin. Well, you guessed it. I just blew 650 bucks, and I sorely hope it’s worth it. I’m about to find out soon and will put my review on a future post, yes? Excites me much, actually.


A few more canvassing and walking around led me to the uppermost floor with a nice view of the atrium - from the wide and spacious activity center on the ground level, up to the whitewashed, airy ceiling, surrounded with what seemed to me as frosted, translucent windows - vertical skylights that flood the whole space with natural light. This is my favorite spot of the mall- picture perfect especially for the miniature landscape feature of my camera. 

Unbeknownst to me however, taking pictures is not allowed. 

No later than a lone experimental shot of the few floors did a security officer come up to me to give me a warning. Of course I obliged, but only when he's looking. The moment he took his eyes off, I was on ninja mode. 

I know this shot doesn't do the place justice, but hey, I tried. 



The day is now drawing to an end and I’m feeling my tummy begging for some nourishment. I don’t feel eating rice, bread or pasta, so I decided to go to Mexicali for some Nachos, instead. 

I realize it could be a healthy option for me, what with its corn chips (in lieu of rice), guacamole, salsa , AND organic sour cream to boot. 

I know, heaps of ground beef topped with cheese isn't your idea of a 'healthy' meal. However, radically changing to a more vegan-like diet requires a little getting-used to. It doesn't happen overnight. Besides, I have no intention of going all out with it.  So there, baby steps.

Although I know I would do well to keep our health buff friends' advice to mind (I ought to), this should do for now. I will be enjoying this food without much of the guilt. 

Good times, indeed J



No comments:

Post a Comment