Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Toast Box: Hebi Hiam & Kopi


Earlier today I saw Toast Box open their doors, though they're still on soft launch. I was immediately drawn to the place as it was all white. There’s a shabby chic feel to it. 



I can see based on what’s written on the price board at the counter that they specialize in Singaporean toasts, with names all too familiar - kaya, kopi, Horlicks and Milo dinosaur.

But today I will try what they say is one of their specialties – Hebi Hiam Sandwich. And the lady at the counter says it comes with a kopi already. I did hear her say the word “shrimp” when asked what this sandwich is made of. The mention of shrimp in a sandwich plus kopi inclusive sounded good to me. How can anything go wrong?


First served was coffee. 

It was rich and I like the fact that they used condensed milk with it, or maybe it's something else, I'm not sure. It harks back to the days of youth when simple pleasures such as condensed milk in coffee or hot choco - hell even on rice, give much joy. 

Coffee... check!


Excitement builds up, what with a good precursor. And then it came - The Hebi Hiam Sandwich

I can already smell the aroma of toasted shrimp. It’s mouth-watering. 
I’m already drooling in my head. 


First bite and the taste of hot chili burned in my mouth. 'I am not giving up', I said to myself, in a very mind-over-matter kind of way. 

A second and a third bite and I can already feel the steam of hot air escaping out of my nostrils and ears. By now I’m like a whistling kettle. 

The fourth was just too much. I couldn’t take one more bite.


The look of disappointment is seen all over my face. I was staring blankly in nothingness while dousing my esophagus with sweet kopi and water. 

I just couldn’t understand why the lady at the counter did not warn me that this sandwich is a b!#ch. Good thing they are still on soft launch so they still have a chance to redeem themselves. I really think they should tone that sandwich a few notches down, or at least give people the option on the level of spiciness they want.

This one, unfortunately, is something I won't easily forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment